Sunday, March 16, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Ice Box Pie

On Saturday morning after Chicago dyed its river green,  I headed to the suburbs to spend time with my absolutely adorable niece, Amanda.  I was excited to prepare this Magically Delicious No-Bake Ice Box Pie recipe with my wonderful little helper in the kitchen.  Since we were baking at my brother's house, we lacked some essential kitchen utensils (ie. electric mixer or whisk) but after a few adjustments, the pie came out magically delicious!  I hope you enjoy this post as much as Amanda and I enjoyed figuring out creative ways to concoct whipped cream... Thank God for the Blender Bottle!   Recipe slightly modified from the original by Parade Magazine.  
Ingredients:
1 nine inch graham cracker crust
24 oz box of Lucky Charms cereal, with cereal and marshmallows separated
2 cups marshmallow fluff
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 cups heavy cream
½ cup powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. Whip heavy cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks begin to form.  Gently fold in powdered sugar.  Set aside in the refrigerator.
  2. In a clean mixing bowl, add 2 cups of the whipped cream, cream cheese and marshmallow fluff. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). 
  3. Gently fold in one cup of the Lucky Charms marshmallows. Pour into graham cracker crust. Smooth over the top with a spoon or spatula. 
  4. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
  5. Pipe or spread remaining whipped cream over the top. 
  6. Garnish with remaining marshmallows around the edge of the pie. 
  7. Serve and eat!
Sort out marshmallows from cereal.  
If you ever wondered what one box of Lucky Charms looked like completely separated from the cereal and the marshmallows, here you go.
Yum.  Whenever I eat Lucky Charms, I go in with a game plan.  Eat all the dry cereal first and save the marshmallows for last.  
I was baking at my brother's house and soon realized that there was no electric mixer or a single whisk.  In a state of panic, I searched for my inner MacGyver and found my solution.  THE BLENDER BOTTLE.  Naturally, I put Amanda to work.  
#WERK.  Shake for 5-7 minutes. 
WHIPPED CREAM!! 
Mix whipped cream and softened cream cheese. 
Add marshmallow fluff.
Mix well. 
Add one cup marshmallows. 
Gently fold into mixture. 
Pour filling into graham cracker crust. 
Freeze for at least 30 minutes. 
Pipe remaining whipped cream around the edge of the pie.  There was no piping bag available so I filled a zip lock back with whipped cream, snipped off a small corner of the bag and piped away. 
Garnish with remaining marshmallows. 



Happy St. Patrick's Day! 
Thank you to my fabulous little helper, Amanda!
Happy no-baking.

xoxo
Grace 

1 comment: