|As the city gets ready to dye the Chicago River green, I colored my buttercream frosting pastel green in preparation for St. Patrick's Day. Enjoy this simple and easy recipe for vanilla buttermilk cupcakes from Amy's Goodies' blog.|
3 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 sticks butter, room temperature
2 1/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the butter and the sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg whites and vanilla and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter and beat until incorporated.
- Add about half of the buttermilk and continue to beat on medium speed until well mixed.
- Continue adding dry and wet ingredients, scraping the bowl and beating until incorporated after each addition. End with the dry ingredients.
- The batter will be thick and glossy.
- Line muffin tin with papers and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Frost with vanilla buttercream frosting.
2 cups (230 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk or light cream
Assorted food colors (if desired)
|Measure dry ingredients into sifter and sift into bowl.|
|Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy|
|Separate egg whites into a bowl.|
|Having a garbage bowl comes in really handy when separating egg whites.|
|Add egg whites to mixture.|
|Remember to occasionally scrap down the sides of the mixing bowl.|
|Add two cups of the flour mixture.|
|Then add 1/2 cup of the 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Continue to alternate flour and buttermilk by adding two cups of flour mixture and 1/2 cup of buttermilk.|
|Begin filling lined cupcake pans. I prefer using an ice cream scoop for this recipe since the batter is thick.|
|The cake batter for this recipe tastes delish.|
|Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes.|
|In a new bowl, cream butter until light yellow and fluffy.|
|Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk.|
|Add food coloring. Always begin with a small amount. You can always add more later if you want a more vibrant color.|
|I use a concentrated food paste color from Wilton. You can also use food coloring.|
|Cream frosting on medium to high speed for 2 minutes.|
|Ta daa! Festive St. Patrick's Day frosting!|
|Sprinkle with green sprinkles.|
|Enjoy your St. Patty's Day everyone. Cheers.|